kindleaholic

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Patrick Rothfuss
This Side of the Grave
Jeaniene Frost
Zoo City
Lauren Beukes
First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones It was just under 5 stars for me so I rounded up.Charley Davidson - PI, anonymous police informant and grim reaper - is dealing with a triple homicide, numerous ghosts, an innocent man in prison, colleagues who treat her like a freak, a dark, shadowy presence that has been with her her whole life, and a dream lover she can't get off her mind. And she keeps getting her ass kicked. I love Charley - snarky, tough, but there is also a lot of vulnerability. There is a lot of humor here and I could relate - if I had to be the grim reaper and deal with dead folks all day, I would need to have a sense of humor about it too. I also love her support system. She tries to keep a wall between her friends and family and her abilities, wanting to protect her loved ones from the truth about life the universe and everything, and protect herself from their reaction. I loved how others reached out to her and tried to protect her. But I was disappointed with the interactions with her dad and Denise. Some ginormous explanations are due here.The book flowed really well - another one I had to finish ASAP. Will be looking for book 2.Quite a few things left unexplained, but that's stuff for future books. The main issue was resolved, it's just that the resolving lead to more questions, as it usually does.