kindleaholic

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Patrick Rothfuss
This Side of the Grave
Jeaniene Frost
Zoo City
Lauren Beukes
Dead on the Delta - Stacey Jay Good start to the series and I'll get the next book. Annabelle is "prickly" (as another side character says) - she's an alcoholic, nurses her demons, tries to refrain from close relationships, and is in a dead end job (that doesn't have to be, she just doesn't have any ambition). At the same time, she deeply cares for the few friends she does have, and when one is in trouble, she does what she can to try to help. The unlikeable hero/heroine is a difficult one to pull off. It works here because even though I didn't really like her in the beginning, by the end I was starting to warm up to her, and throughout it all, I was still interested in what was going on. I really liked the worldbuilding: poisonous mutated fairies, the bayou, the criminal element making drugs from said poisonous fairies, and something else going on with those who are immune to the fairy venom. Throw in a murder, an internal investigation, a complicated love life made more complicated by an ex's arrival, and you have one excellent story.