kindleaholic

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Patrick Rothfuss
This Side of the Grave
Jeaniene Frost
Zoo City
Lauren Beukes
The Near Witch - Victoria Schwab 4.5 starsI'm a sucker for stories about fairy tales & legends. Love them. This book starts in the town of Near. The whole town is cut off from the outside world, so it starts out claustrophobic and gets more so as bad things start happening. Lexi feels trapped and alone. She's still struggling with her father's death and she is unhappy that everyone expects her to be a "proper girl" and not a hunter, but her father taught her to love and respect the moors and that is where she is happiest. Then she sees a stranger, there is a haunting voice on the wind, and children start disappearing. The town wants to find a scapegoat (and the stranger fits the bill), but Lexi thinks something else is at play, something having to do with the town's dark past.Lexi teams up with the stranger and races against the fear of the villagers and time as more children go missing. I enjoyed following along as Lexi uncovered the truth. There is a sweet romance, a lot of good action, magic, and I liked the other characters (even the ones I loved to hate). I especially liked the quiet strength of Lexi's mother. Lexi's eyes aren't only opened to the town's secrets, she also learns and appreciates more about her mother. Recommended if you enjoy YA with paranormal and romantic elements.