kindleaholic

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Patrick Rothfuss
This Side of the Grave
Jeaniene Frost
Zoo City
Lauren Beukes
Shades of Milk and Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal I spent a couple of years as a confirmed Austen-aholic (coincided with the Pride & Prejudice miniseries starring Colin Firth), and this book brought me back to that. It has all of the societal kerfluffles as young ladies are paraded before eligible bachelors, issues of propriety, scoundrels, and so on. And there is magic too, although the glamour is used more ornamentally than anything else and is thought of as more of a womanly art.Jane is quite skilled in glamour, but she is very plain (especially compared to her younger sister) and at 28 she has resigned herself to a life of spinsterhood. She is slowing allowing herself some hope of marriage with the increased attentions of a handsome neighbor, and her artistic interest is piqued when Mr. Vincent, a rare male artist skilled in glamour is commissioned to create a tableau at the Viscountess's home.She stumbles into scandals with secret engagements, has to deal with her family (her father is on her side but her mother and sister are too bitchy for wrods). And that is where the story loses a bit for me. It happened with the Austen books too, where the heroine never really comes out and puts her annoying family members in their place. I get that the heroine is quite refined and proper, but you kind of wish she would lay the smack down. Of course, this is coming from someone who never had to live under those stifling societal conditions and usually reads books where the female leads shoot first and ask questions later.Still, it was a quick read and it caught my attention, and I found myself rooting for Jane the whole time.If you like Auten, you should give this a try.