kindleaholic

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Patrick Rothfuss
This Side of the Grave
Jeaniene Frost
Zoo City
Lauren Beukes
A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters - Martin H. Greenberg, Kerrie Hughes, Jane Lindskold, Nancy Holder, Lilith Saintcrow, Jeanne C. Stein, Tanya Huff, Anton Strout, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Jim C. Hines, Elizabeth A. Vaughn, P.R. Frost, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Alexander B. Potter, Nina Kiriki Hoffman I'm going with a 3.5.The Drifter by Jane Lindskold: set in 1800s American West with werewolves, skinwalkers, and family ties. Really liked it. Near the top of my list for this antho.Our Lady of the Vampires: it's the Depression and something strange is happening in a home for girls. It was all right. I did enjoy the end.Best Friends by lilith Saintcrow: a standalone, not part of any other series that I know of; young love, protecting those you love, and making the most of what you have. Note: I've read a good number of Saintcrow's shorts and I really like them. This one is no exception. One of my favorites in this antho.Elizabeth & Anna's Big Adventure by Jeanne Stein: This one was all right. It's part of the Anna Strong series, not that you need to be caught up on it to get the story, but I think if I was more familiar with the characters I would like it more.Lupercalia by Anton Stout: a woman who has had more than her share of heartbreak goes on a manhunt for the god of love. I really liked this one. Another one of my favs in this antho.Murder She Workshopped by Kristine Kathryn Rusch: This story is a big reason why I love reading anthos. I've never read anything by this author, but I really liked the story & I'll be looking to see what else Rusch has written. Murder, monsters and mystery at a writing workshop. Good stuff.Heart of Ash by Jim C. Hines: I really liked this one. Unexpected heroine - a Nymph who fights monsters. Bittersweet, but I liked it.Jiang Shi by Elizabeth A. Vaughan: I kind of liked this one. Very odd, with a middle-aged woman who thinks the magic has gone from her life, who with the help of an amulet finds more than she bargained for. It has a talking mouse, ninja rats, an evil possum and more. It worked, but I feel like I was missing a bit too much to really enjoy it.No MAtter Where You Go by Tanya Huff: Part of the Vicki Nelson series; some kids open a portal and VIcki jumps in to save them. It was a quick, action-fueled story.Signed in Blood by P.R. Frost: A Tess Noncoire story. I've never read the series, but the short was meh. Not enough happened to make me want to find more. Anticlimatic.Broch de Shlang by Mickey Zucker Reichert: It started interesting, with snakes and a family curse, but fell apart at the end. I get where the author was going, but something that traumatic cannot be glossed over.The Wooley Mountains by Alexander B. Potter: Set in a world where there are magic species interacting with humans. There's Sasquatch and evidence of a dragon. I liked this one. I liked the old monster hunter and the new guard (although I would call them more monster conservationists, really). One of my favs.Invasive Species by Nina Kiriki Hoffman: Set on a spaceship, where something has been chewing on the metal. There's lots of odd happenings, and a light touch, as our heroine dons her exterminator gear to get to the root of the problem. I liked it.