kindleaholic

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Patrick Rothfuss
Jeaniene Frost
Zoo City
Lauren Beukes

The Woken Gods

The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond Originally posted at Stellar Four: http://www.stellarfour.com/2013/09/books-read-new-series-found.htmlI love mythology, and books where the various pantheons exist in the same world (witnessed by my love of Hearne's Iron Druid and Andrews' Kate Daniels series), are devoured like candy-coated written goodness. In bond's YA Woken Gods, it is five years since all of gods from all of the cultures around the world woke up. Chaos ensued until the Society emerged bearing relics that could hurt and even kill the gods. An uneasy truce remains, with the Trickster gods, Legba, Loki, Coyote, Enki and others, acting as go-betweens with the Society. Our story takes place in DC, home to the gods' embassies and our heroine, Kyra. She lives with her dad who works long hours as a researcher for the Society, her mom went crazy at the awakening and isn't around, and Kyra spends her time with her friends and trying to get a reaction out of her dad. To say she has trust issues is a massive understatement. Of course, soon her life is turned upside down, secrets come out and she is in a race against time to save everything that matters to her.I enjoyed this one a lot. With the action taking place in the city, we get to see a bit of what it is like to live with the gods, with a few mentions of what life might be like outside in the rest of the world. There is definitely more to discover in this universe. I liked the characters. There isn't really a love triangle (definitely not with the main character), and although there is romance, this is not one where Kyra does stupid things because of her feelings for a boy (in the midst of dangerous dealings with powerful deities). Also of note, there are no bad boys. The male characters do not treat the female characters horribly because of their gender, or to "push them away for their own good" or any of the other common tropes. I liked that very much. The end goes quickly, maybe a little too fast, and I'm hoping that we get the continuing adventures of Woken Gods soon. It's not a cliffhanger, but there is much to be explored still in this world.[received a review copy]